Between the year 1759 and 1783 ( the year of the arrival of the Loyalists) many English
settlers came to the River St John, they were the true pioneers. There were some traders,
they settled in Maugerville, retired officers who settled inland and refugees driven
inland by privateers |
In 1759, Governor Lawrence offered land to the English making them all kind of other nice promises. The first man to take advantage of it was James Simonds of Woburn, Massachusetts. James or a member of his family lived on this 10,000 acre estate bought from Charles Morris, it began at Mill Creek, below present Fredericton. A Grandson Colonel Edward Simonds moved to the old house in 1843 and remodeled it.
James Simonds and his cousins James White and William Hazen formed a trading company with headquarters at Newburyport with Hazen and another cousin by name of Blodget in charge. In 1764 Simonds and White took a party of thirty people to the Saint John River and established an English settlement.
Hazen , Simonds and White, exported annually to England from their trading post, at the
mouth of the St John river, 4000 beaver skins , musquash, otter, mink, fisher, marten,
fox, racoon, wolverine, bear, lynx, deer, moose, feathers etc...
In the summer of 1761, a large number of families under leadership of Francis Peabody arrived at the present Maugerville , having embarked on two schooners from Newburyport. The township was for a time called Township of Peabody. In 1762 Peabody built the first frame house of New Brunswick and later sold it to James Simonds.. Two daughters of Peabody married the cousins James White and James Simonds.
The following list is the first Maugerville grantees and many of these settlers and descendants later moved to Fredericton..
Granted in 1761
JACOB BARKER JR.|
CAPT. FRANCIS PEABODY
JAMES SIMONDS ESQ.
BEAMSLEY PERKINS GLASER
Voted in Council to be granted between 1767 and 1783
Gilles Tidmarsh Jr.|
Gervas or Jarvis Say|
Johathan Parker Jr.|
Dan and Moses Palmer
Jacques Fred. W. Desbarres
Charles Morris Jr.