In 1991 Campbellton's population was of 8,699
Campbellton sits with the banks of the Restigouche River
to one side and Sugarloaf Mountain to back it up on the other
With just the Van Horne bridge to seperate them
Campbellton runs 4300 acres or about 7 square miles
with 32 miles of streets and 20 miles of sidewalks
Across the river from Campbellton is Cross Point (now called Pointe a la Croix) and Ristigouche
or Listigoj a Micmac Indian reservation.
Point Pleasant, later Cross Point and now Pointe a la Croix..
Campbellton was first called
"Wisiamcu" by the Indians
Pointe des Sauvages by the French
Indian Point by the English
As of 1810 it was called; Cavenick Point
then went to the following names, after different residents
Martin's Point after Captain Martin
and finally Campbellton after Sir Archibald Campbell the Lieutenana Governor of New Brunswich
Campbellton is also the site of the Famous Battle of the Restigouche
In 1760 this same piece of gorgeous quiet waters on the Restigouche river
was the site of the "Battle of the Restigouche"
It was the last battle fought for surpremacy in British North America
between the English and the French.
British occupation of the land began in 1773, thirteen years later
when two young Aberdeen Scotchmen, John Duncan and Robert Adams
started the salmon fishing industry and planted the first trading-post
3 miles west of Campbellton, at "Old Church Point", now Atholville
In 1769, Hugh Baillie, a Scotsman, and a partner of George Walker
built a large trade in fish and fur hides and salted salmon
Baillie sold his property to John Shoolbred, a merchant from London
In 1773 Shoolbred established the first permanent settlement on the Restigouche
His agent, William Smith, brought 8 Aberdeen fisherman
(two of which were John Duncan and Robert Adams) and their families
and the above salmon fishing industry was set in place..
From 1785 to 1787, Shoolbred leased the property at Old Mission Point
to Samuel Lee..then in 1788, Shoolbred lost his title to the land
and Samuel Lee obtained a direct grant to it.
Shortly after, Lee set aside some land for the Old Athol House Cemetery about 1790
which is still there behind the Atholville Pulp Mill
The oldest stone reads 1791.
The Caledonian Society of Restigouche put the history of the Cemetery together
for the Memorial Service, held in 1972..
They have done a remarkable amount of work in and around this cemetery
in restoring stones to as close as their original state as possible
In 1794, Alexander Ferguson, a Scotsman from Perth, Scotland,
settled in Restigouche and his brother Robert joined him there two years later
Alexander died in 1803 and Robert carried on. He bought land from Samuel Lee's widow
which included, Old Mission Point, Ferguson Point this is all pretty well known today as Atholville, NB
In 1812, Robert built a residence and store which was known as Athol House
It was a landmark for little over 80 years. In 1895 or 1896 it was completely destroyed by fire
Athol House was within walking distance from the Athol House Cemetary.
The Athol House church was used until the Presbyterian Church was built in Campbellton in 1831, with Rev. James Stevens also deserving Bathurst, New Richmond P.Q.,
New Carlisle and Port Daniel P.Q.
It is beleived, Rev John Young, came to this Athol House community around 1808.
He was a man of 6 foot 6 inches, known to have the "eye of a hawk" and he passed away at age 66.
Here is a bit of history of one Scotish Gent who came to Campbellton
Mr. Allan Ritchie
Some interesting facts about Campbellton and the area
In 1829, the Highway between Miramichi and Campbellton was built
In 1841 there were 319 Settlers on the banks of the Restigouche River
In 1831 work on the road known then and now as Kempt rd. began
it was the first road to link Metis, Province of Quebec with the Gaspe coast
and played an important part in the History of Restigouche
It was completed in 1838 and named after the then Governor of Canada
Sir George Kempt
The mail was carried from Miramichi to Quebec through this road, it was a 90 mile hike
through rough terrain. Mr George Dickson was the courrrier there for 22 years. It took him
2 days, in winter time with dog sleds and in summer by horse to do the 90 mile run
In 1861 Campbellton was almost all destroyed by fire for the first time
In 1888, the first hospital was built in Campbellton by the Sisters of the Hotel Dieu
of St Joseph, and it stood in the old Botsford House on what is today Prince William st.
In July of 1910, the whole city of Campbellton again, was burnt to a crisp.
A fire started from sparks from Shives Mill destroyed the whole city, leaving only a few buildings standing. This mill stood where the Restigouche Salmon stands today on the waterfront.
July 11th was a hot, dry, very windy summer day. Sparks from the mill itself are said
to have fallen in some shingles, in the yard, started a fire and the wind blew the sparks from the burning shingles all over town. One man is said to have had a load of hay in his
wagon and as he was trying to flee with it, sparks fell in the wagon and set the hay
on fire, he only had time to unharness the horse to save him from being burnt also.
Within a few hours there were only a few buildings left standing although the fire
burnt all nite and for a few days after. The whole city was nothing but a black
mangled bed of cinders, wires, empty foundations, what was left of posts, fences and trees
People were huddled together, in cemeteries, on top of hills, in boats on the water
they were taken across the river to Cross Point, and to Atholville and Richardsville.
That nite the skies over the remains of the city was crimpson red, the smell of smoke
remained for weeks and people as far as Dalhousie could smell it.
Then came the task of trying to help one another rebuild their little city
Help came from near and far, food, clothing, some tents were put up in the back of the city
on some properties, and soon the rebuilding began.
Businesses went up in nothing but little shacks, but the show must go on
Before the Van Horne Bridge was built in 1960-61
The ferrys that linked Campbellton to Cross Point, P.Q.
Read the story of the Ramsay girls who fell off Sugarloaf Mountain in 1924
Crosses of Sugarloaf Mountain
Here are some prominent people and businesses of Campbellton
In the late 1800's to early 1900's
Businesses and People
Here is a sketch of the area as it was back then
Sketch of the Restigouche River
Walking you across the years
More old pictures of Campbellton
Some of the Hotels which were operated here and have dissapeared
Hotels pre and post fire days
Before the fire of 1910, Newspaper articles about the fire and much more
Wrights's 1899 directory
NB Tel's 1905 phone directory
Campbellton is now a city of approximately 4,000 families, or less.
Jobs are few and far between, the biggest employers, two mills
and the Regional Hospital has been following the "cut" trend
causing many people to leave the area and go look for employment elsewhere
Campbelltonians have "immigrated" all over Canada.
Here are some other Campbellton related web sites I have created
Campbellton Curling Club
Restigouche Naturalists' Club
My Best photos
This page was designed by Irene Doyle December 1997 and updated last Feb. 2000